This blog is an ongoing story and is best read in numerical order.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

#16 An Affair Of The Heart...

Our stable has been operating almost 18 months when it happened.

My Cowboy had been feeling poorly for some time and finally agreed to seek medical attention. His visit to the doctor was life changing.

The examination discovered that he had heart blockages. Surgery was needed... needed now.

He was admitted to University Medical Center for early morning surgery. I sat with him. The surgery, Quadruple By-Pass, was scheduled for 7 am but was performed closer to 5 pm. The problem was two emergencies... unavoidable delays. The waiting was difficult for us both.

Finally as he was taken in for his operation and I had to leave. Prior commitments for evening events couldn't be changed. I had to go. As a cowgirl in training, I didn't want to leave my cowboy.

The events went as planned and they went well. The stress of juggling the events and his illness was very high... but cowgirls keep their heads. I did manage to return to his side later that evening. He would spent that night in CICU.

Next morning he was moved to a private room. The morning after that, he disappeared.

The nurses found him in the cafeteria, pushing his IV cart as he purchased a coffee and a newspaper. They were shocked that he was up and around but nothing it seemed could stop him. He was discharged the next day.

This proved a mistake.

Life at home was not the same. His distaste of the hospital had overcome his good sense and made him appear a super man. In reality, it hit him hard when he came home.

At that time we had a number of privately owned horses in our care. One such horse was owned by a doctor from UMC and it was our friendship that resulted in the top cardiac surgeon in the city as My Cowboy's personal doctor. Our medical friend took me aside and gave me warning.

He said the medical profession had a dark, little secret concerning open heart surgery. For reasons not known, often this surgery resulted in a change of personality for the patient. This would prove to be true, My Cowboy never was the same again.

My Cowboy recovered slowly but he physically recovered. The happy go lucky, slightly irresponsible and carefree cowboy didn't. The life saving operation became a life altering one.

No comments:

Post a Comment