This blog is an ongoing story and is best read in numerical order.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

#1 How It All Started...

Have you ever wondered just how much chance plays in the development of our lives? Or do you believe that it is all carefully planned by a power beyond our own?

My story begins with a holiday gone awry. Carefully made plans fell through, when a group of 10 friends planned a vacation on Padre Island off the coast of Texas. It was to be a time of sun, sand and surf and for those involved, an escape from snow and cold.

As things go, coordinating 10 people proved a difficult thing to do and as things go, this proved the downfall of the groups plans. One by one, members dropped out until only three remained. 

The last three in our group were all women, two sisters and myself, all young, full of life and the thrill of adventure. We booked a trip to Columbia.

A few weeks later our travel agent called and strongly advised us to change our plans. Columbia, it was reported, was becoming to dangerous a place for tourists, especially young women alone. The sisters quickly changed their plans, opting to go to Barbados instead.


Barbados had no appeal for me and after listening to the tales from a work colleague about a trip to Arizona, I too changed my plans. My colleagues tales revived old memories. Memories of movie tales of cowboys and the old west. I decided to vacation in Arizona. Chance... or divine intervention had just created my destiny.

My background involved horses. They were the glue in my life and I worked hard to become a professional horsewoman. Long hours striving to perfect my own riding skills and then college credits, ending finally with a riding school in England to gain accreditation which gave me professional status.

I decided that my Arizona vacation had to include horses. A dude ranch seemed the ideal place.

It was 0 degrees with a wind chill factor of 20 below, when I left my homeland. It was cold and grey and froze the heart. My plane landed in Tucson, Arizona to sun filled skies and balmy breezes. I stepped off the plane to feel those gentle breezes caress my skin, I felt strange exotic scents tickle my nose and the most welcome feeling of all... that of warm sun upon my skin. 

It was love at first sight... a love for this new and strange land and a new life to be.

Yes my visit was by chance... an unplanned event which evolved and as it turned out, became life changing.

1 comment:

  1. Every journey begins with a first step, and it's wonderful to know that when you headed off to Arizona, the planets and stars aligned for you.

    ReplyDelete