This blog is an ongoing story and is best read in numerical order.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

#7 Adjustments...

It was a bit awkward and it was uncomfortable. Western riding was new to me.

I learned to ride on an English style saddle. These were small compact bits of leather which lightly sat upon a horse’s back. The saddles didn’t hold you on the horse but rather, balanced you over him. Their lightweight design also made jumping fences much more comfortable for both man and horse.

Oh-h but it was so easy to come off!

I was now riding in a Western style saddle and it felt awful.

In the old West, coming off your horse could be life threatening, a man on the range without his horse was literally lost. Western saddles were designed to keep you on the horse as long as possible. Although bucking broncos look better in the movies, the goal was to avoid fuss and stay put.

My first Western saddle felt thick and massive but as I adjusted from riding flat grassy meadows and level riding arenas to rugged desert terrain, I learned to love them. Riding past armored cactus, I learned to appreciate them. Negotiating steep mountain trails and staying astride a horse darting from a coiled rattlesnake, I learned to cherish them. 

Western style saddles are like trucks, built to work with lots of storage. Horns became places to wrap a rope around or even to tie a rope to, canteens were slung here as well. The rear of the saddle held extra bags, rolled clothing or even a sleeping bag. These saddles were meant to be useful, to be lived in and enjoyed.  

For me the biggest difference was weight. Lightweight English saddles were easily lifted to place on the horse. Western saddles for me, had to be negotiated. I was the laughing stock of the corrals until I learned the secret to tossing a heavy saddle up on a horses back. 

I adjusted my riding style too. 

I rode for comfort and merged the two genres into my own. The formal English style somehow morphed into a laid back, deep seated Western look.

Soon a cowboy hat replaced my scarves and soon too it was adorned with found bird feathers and pretty pins.

Yes... the change had begun but with an urban girls bling!



                           




                  

No comments:

Post a Comment